This Digital Picture Frame against Social Networking sites Via Cloud Computing paper is about various types of testing involved while doing DPF testing against cloud computing concept. The term DPF refers to Digital Picture Frame, which basically reads images of Jpeg/bmp and other image formats. DPF also has got the capabilities of playing mp3 files and video files of formats mpeg/avi etc.
Digital Picture Frame DPF overview
DPF is a standalone device basically power supplied by chord or sometimes by in-built battery. In general DPF will have an inbuilt card reader which reads images from various cards like SD/MMC/XD/USB etc.
The frame is actually a very simple computer. It has most of the same components as the computer on your desktop, but they’re a lot simpler in the frame because they only have to perform a single task. The below circuit board is just a snapshot of the components that drive the digital picture frame.
Features and specifications of DPF
There are some many features available depending on the type of DPF. Features vary depending on the type and manufactures of DPF.
Basic features and specifications of DPF were as follows.
- SS – Transitions like Wipe , Fade, Zoom and pane etc
- Auto On/OFF
- Audio support (mp3’s)
- Video Support (mpeg/Avi)
- Internal memory capacity ( 256MB – 1 GB, depending on the model)
- PC suite application which interface frame and computer
- 8 in 1 inbuilt card reader.
- Aspect ratio : 4:3 / 16:9
Lot of new features getting embedded day by day into the current DPF’s, as per the market demands and needs of the customer.
How Digital Picture Frame reads the images
There are two ways how the DPF reads the images
- In built card reader – if the images are stored in any Storage device
- RSS Reader – if the Images are placed on Web applications/servers
Card reader is integrated to the Frame which directly communicates to LCD of the frame.
RSS reader is an application embedded in the F/w which directly reads images stored on the corresponding RSS feed.
About the Social Networking Sites
Social networking sites are basically websites which focuses on building and reflecting of social relations or social networks among people.
Most social networks are Web based and allows users to interact with other users over internet such as emails, instant chats and maintaining online communities.
Some of social network sites allows user to share images /applications and videos over the internet to share with other users.
Below are some social n/w sites which allows user to share pictures over internet.
- Face book
How Cloud computing relates to DPF and how DPF reads images from cloud
The Wi-Fi DPF’s are configured by means of web server / application where in the frames will get registered under the cloud. The web server application communicates with the social n/w sites like FB, picasa, Flickr etc.
All the Social Networking sites and Web server come under the same cloud to which frames are configured.
Types of Testing carried out on DPF
Since the frame is a standalone device and doesn’t have PC connectivity, most of the functionality is verified manually. Manual testing of frame covers below types of Testing
- Regression testing on the intermediate releases of F/w: Retesting the same functionality after bug fix and ensure the system works as expected.
For Ex:– When a SS of 3 secs duration is fixed, the same fix will be tested on the consecutive build along with the different SS durations like 5s, 10s, 30s.
- Adhoc Testing: Randomly testing the frame and web server
For ex: – While SS is going on, go to frame settings page on web and delete the Web account associated with the frame. (Basically there won’t be any predefined test scenario for the same)
- Compatibility testing of DPF with different model Routers ( for Wi-Fi models) : verification of Wi-Fi compliance w.r.to different router models.
For ex:- This test is to make sure that Wi-Fi Frame is compatible to different Authentication modes like WPS/WPA/WEP and None.
- Web server testing: The Web application system test involves Authorization of the Frame to Web account, Thumbnail view of images that are added from Computer/Various sources and ensure all the images get reflected on DPF.
- Interoperability testing of Web server: Testing the web server on different browsers across various OS ( For Ex:- Firefox on Win vista, safari on Mac)
This test will ensure the System test case of the Web application in adherence to different combinations like Mac OS + Safari browser, Windows XP + FF, Windows Vista + IE8 and so on.
- N/w adherence Test : To verify whether frame adhere to n/w standards and guidelines
For ex:- When a frame is connected to Wi-Fi n/w which is at 32% signal strength, it should be in same n/w consistently and should not suppose to drop off from the n/w frequently.
- Localization Test: To verify whether frame supports all languages
For Ex: – The error messages/Display text on the frame should be user friendly and should give a meaning sense in that particular language.
- Performance Test: Endurance test carried on Frame to ensure stability on long run with full load.
For Ex:- In this test frame is loaded with huge images (nearly 4000) and it is subjected to run SS continuously for more than 3 to 4 weeks. The test is to ensure there are no Frame hangs/crashes.
This Digital Picture Frame against Social Networking sites Via Cloud Computing white paper explains how the DPF displays the images or content placed on social Networking sites via cloud computing concept. Also about the various types of testing carried on standalone devices like DPF.