Description: The research paper Geographical Information System Cse IT Technical Seminar ppt speaks about Geographical Information System GIS. The research paper suggests that GIS is a system that allows mapping and analyse information that exists on the earth. Burrough in 1986 defined GIS as, “Set of tools for collecting, storing, retrieving at will, transforming and questions are posed to determine what happens, for example, if a new road is added to a network or if a toxic substance seeps into the local ground water supply. Answering this type of question requires both geographic and other information (as well as specific models). GIS permits spatial operation.
Two types of questions can be posed in a GIS. They are Aspatial and Spatial Questions. An aspatial question is something like this: How many buffaloes are present in each location? A spatial question is like this: How many people work for GIS?
Factors allowing rise of GIS:
- Information Technology.
- Computer Technology.
- Remote Sensing.
- Global Positioning System.
- Communication Technology.
- Rapidly declining cost of Computer Hardware, and at the same time, exponential growth of operational speed of computers.
- Improved functionality of software and their user-friendliness.
- Visualizing impact of GIS corroborating the Chinese proverb “a picture is worth a thousand words.”
- Geographical feature and data describing it are part of our everyday lives & most of our everyday decisions are influenced by some facet of Geography
It is suggested in the research paper that GIS comprises five major components: Hardware, software, data, people, and method.
Conclusion: The research paper concludes on a note that as of GIS is a costly affair, but with the increasing demand in computer based applications this domain may become cst effective for the for the future generations. GIS has almost become part and parcel of our lives with many of us still unaware of it.
Download Geographical Information System Cse IT Technical Seminar ppt.