- IC engine is the major component in any automobile
- IC engine is not just a single component, it is an assembly of various components
- It is very important to know how much pressure, load & stresses are acting on those parts and also the effect caused due to these parameters must be estimated
- So, we have selected 3 components of IC ENGINE
- The 3 components are PISTON,CRANK SHAFT & CONNECTING ROD
- IC Engine Components Designed those components in pro-e
- And finally we analyzed them in ANSYS so as to estimate the best material
- The internal combustion engine is an engine in which the combustion of a fuel (normally a fossil fuel) occurs with an oxidizer (usually air) in a combustion chamber
- In IC Engine chemical energy is converted into mechanical energy
- Internal combustion engines are most commonly used
- An IC Engine consists of hundreds of different parts, which are important for its proper working.
- However, the main components which are important are described below.
2. Cylinder head
4. Piston Ring
5 . Connecting Rod
6. Crank shaft
7. Crank Case
8. Fly wheel etc.
- Here we have considered 3 main parts namely,
Result and conclusion :
Through the structural analysis of the parts individually it is clear that structural steel can withstand more stresses, then comes aluminum alloys when compared to normal cast iron parts.
And these results continued with assembly of the 3parts i.e. ; piston, connecting rod, crankshaft
With these results it can be concluded that the parts made with structural steels are better than that of aluminum, cast iron & aluminum is better than cast iron.
Analysis of Assembly:
Cast Iron Assembly:
Structural Steel Assembly:
Future scope :
The 3 components are PISTON,CRANK SHAFT & CONNECTING ROD which are designed in pro-e are finally going to be analyzed in ANSYS so as to estimate the effects caused due to pressure, load but thermal analysis can also be done to analyze temperature & its effects.
As there are some reasons for not completely implementing aluminum & other materials in IC engine parts, they must be overcome by extending the experiments.