Now a days with most of the websites supporting web feeds like RSS , ATOM , etc , the need to visit each and every website manually is eliminated.A web feed (or news feed) is a data format used for providing users with frequently updated content. Content distributors syndicate a web feed, thereby allowing users to subscribe to it. Making a collection of web feeds accessible in one spot is known as aggregation, which is performed by an aggregator. A web feed is also sometimes referred to as a syndicated feed A User can subscribe to set of websites he is interested and follow them easily through Feed Aggregators.
Universal Feed Reader is a content management application which acts as a feed aggregator and feed manager.It is a web application which aggregates syndicated web content(feeds) such as news headlines, blogs, podcasts, and video blogs (vlogs) in one location for easy viewing. It enables its users to view and manage their subscribed feeds at one place .There are no restrictions on the on the formats of all formats Rss, atom ,etc are supported , Hence the name Universal Feed Reader.
In current scenario , user follows his favorite set of sites by visiting them manually and checking out if any latest are available or subscribes to it via email ,then feeds are sent to his email. Both these methods are cumbersome and time taking. User may skip some important updates on a site tired of clicking and
navigating though pages on a website. Email feeds are also very uninteresting as they involve clicking through each email separately and also results in cluttering of Inbox. Every user may have a list of his favorite websites that he wishes to follow regularly , a user may not be able to remember all these websites.So it is important to organize and store this list. Therefore the task is to automate these manual processes of navigation and organization. Hence, automation of the existing system is proposed as a solution to solve the problem.
Objective of Project
The main purpose of this application is to eliminate the need to visit each and every website manually to catch up latest updates , by organizing them at one place .And enable user to read websites in an elegant and easy to grasp way , manage subscribed websites at single place and view feeds based on category .
Limitations of Project
It works only internet is available .It’s Not run on windows environment, its run only on web environment. And all applications are not providing RSS.
The Aim is to provide an automated and integrated solution to the process of feed reading and gathering.User can now organize his favorite collection of websites and view them in a simple and interactive environment.
There are three types of users in this system. They are:
The following describes the Roles of all the users in this System.
- Admin: An admin in the system takes care of authorization and authentication, responsible for background functions like crawling for feed updates.The process of administrator are automated no external supervision is required.
- User: A User feeds the application with his set of favorite urls and organizes them based on category. User after feeding a valid url to the application can view the feeds from the website. He can even bookmark a specific url in the feeds for later reference. He can also remove the Urls and categories that he previously added.
This is the module responsible for authentication and authorization of users. Register module is responsible for authentication of user and adding to database.
This module is responsible for calculating number of updates of a particular url , It has a background script which runs periodically and fetches the feeds and stores the url and published date. It uses this information to calculate number of updates since users last visit.
In this module the Users can add or delete websites and organize into categories. And can also add multiple websites at once.
This module enables the Users to share specific url/article that they like to social networking sites like youtube.
high care was taken to check that the system manages the data consistency with proper business rules or validations. The database connectivity was planned using the latest “SQL Connection” technology provided by Microsoft Corporation.
PROBLEM IN EXISTING SYSTEM
- Need To go every website for updates.
- No use of Web Services and Remoting.
- Requires different credentials for different applications.
- Time consuming .
- Fewer Users – Friendly.
SOLUTION OF THESE PROBLEMS
The development of the new system contains the following activities, which try to automate the entire process keeping in view of the database integration approach.
- User friendliness is provided in the application with various controls.
- The system makes the overall project management much easier and flexible.
- Readily upload the latest updates, allows user to download the alerts by clicking the URL.
- There is no risk of data mismanagement at any level while the project development is under process.
- It provides high level of security with different level of authentication.
- PROPOSED SYSTEM
To debug the existing system, remove procedures those cause data redundancy, make navigational sequence proper. To provide information about audits on different level and also to reflect the current work status depending on organization/auditor or date. To build strong password mechanism.
- WINDOWS OS
- Visual Studio .Net 2012 Enterprise Edition
- Internet Information Server 5.0 (IIS)
- Visual Studio .Net Framework (Minimal for Deployment)
- SQL Server 2008 Enterprise Edition