The manual procedure for conducting examination is a time consuming process and error prone due to human limitations. The existing automated system has been facing certain limitations like not having the ability to view the unanswered questions for the student reference. This system is an enhancement to the existing system covering some of its limitations.
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM:
The purpose of this project is to develop Online Examination System, used to test the Technical & Non Technical knowledge of the students in the college. Here only registered students must be allowed to write the online test.
The manual procedure for conducting examination is a time consuming process and error prone due to human limitations. The existing automated system has been facing certain limitations like:
• Answers validation being done at client side. Answers are reaching the client as soon as he starts the exam and hence hacking is possible.
• Difficult to check unanswered questions quickly.
This system is an enhancement to the existing system covering some of its limitations. The proposed system has advantages like:
• Validation at server side. No possibility of answers through cookies.
• Provides option to separately view the unanswered question ids.
Objectives of Study:
• Enhance it with server side validation
• Refreshing the database by removing the question bank when the exam is over.
• User friendly environment to view the unanswered question ids.
We are overcoming the direct disclosure of answers by server side validation.
This section describes the functional requirements of the system for those requirements which are expressed in the natural language style. They are as follows:
• Repetitive questions not to be allowed.
• Student should be able to scroll through the paper.
• They should be able to view the unanswered questions.
• They should be able to view results online.
• Questions should be randomly retrieved.
SYSTEM DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS
Operating system : Windows Xp professional
Programming Language : JAVA
Browser : Internet Explorer
Web application server : Apache Tomcat (also supported by Glassfish)
IDE : Net Beans
Model Design : Rational rose
Database : MySql
Processor : Intel Pentium core to duo.
RAM : 2GB RAM(preferable)
Hard disk : 80GB or more
Pages Created for this Project:
- Admin/Student Login Page
- Student Registration Page
- Student Profile page
- Student Change Password Page
- Student Exam Paper
- Admin Home Page
- Admin View Profile Page
- Create User Page
- Delete User Page
- Admin Change Password Page
- Exam Paper Posting Page
- Admin/ Student Log Out Page
The primary goal of this project is conduction of online exam. This system is very user friendly. It also has user friendly features like getting the unanswered questions. This requires an optimal space in the database as the question bank is cleared once for every subject. So there us no unnecessary loss of the memory space due to extensive tables. This project is session managed which expire after the administrator logs out. It provides separate privileges to the administrator and the student. This project is successfully completed by including all the specified features. Our project team worked hard with the help of our guide and ensured its completion. At last we can conclude firmly that the entire project is completed as per the stated requirements.
This project has a wide scope for development by including some extra features such as we can provide the administrator with the capability of the setting the required number of questions. We can randomize the options of the question paper. Our question paper can be modified in such a way that one question can be displayed at a time. The unanswered feature also can be enhanced such that on clicking the question number we can directly be redirected to the intended question. The question bank can be subjected to standard encryption techniques to maintain security.