Wireless communication has increased rapidly these days and the level of application support and the level of operations are implemented at a high end. Across the many wireless communication techniques implemented, wireless LAN has a significant role to play and supports a wide range of applications towards a perfect implementation of the wireless communication patterns.
Wireless LAN supports may wireless communication applications like voice communication, data communication and video communication. Across many applications and techniques implemented across the voice applications has a significant role and required a top level quality to implement the voice applications as the data delivery should be accurate with respect to the voice applications.
In general quality of service should be given importance as the quality of the application delivered should be on the top and even the network resources are utilized with the multimedia and voice application. Few QoS metrics like throughput, end to end delay, jitter and packet delivery ratio and these metrics are used to measure the performance of the network with respect to the application delivery across the wireless LAN.
In general voice schemes are usually implemented across the wireless LAN and these voice schemes has lot of issues with respect to the quality of the application delivery process and these issues are measured against the quality of service requirements. A typical voice scheme should be implemented against few quality of service requirements like throughput, average delay, retransmission time, packet loss and network load and there are different techniques in place to measure these quality of service requirements and most of them fail to provide the accurate rate of metrics across the wireless LAN.
In this project an OPNET based simulation is done to evaluate the Quality of service requirements with respect to wireless LAN and the key aim and objectives of this project are as listed below
Aim: To evaluate the quality of service requirements for different voice schemes across the wireless LAN using OPNET.
Following are the research objectives
- To critically review Wireless LAN networks and the working principles
- To review the quality of service requirements for different applications across the wireless LAN and in specific for the voice schemes
- To design the quality of service metrics and the corresponding parameters across the voice schemes using OPNET modular
- To create the simulation scenarios to measure the QoS requirements against the parameters like throughput, retransmission time, network load, and packet loss and packet delivery rate.
- To run the simulation process against these parameters
- To evaluate the results and analyze the QoS requirements for the voice schemes for wireless LAN.
How the objectives are achieved
- Literature review is prepared using the articles, journals, websites and ACM digital library
- Above references are used to review the wireless LANs and different applications supported across the wireless LAN is done
- Different quality of service requirements are analyzed with respect to the applications supported to the wireless LAN and in specific for the voice schemes
- Wireless LAN voice schemes are considered across the physical layer and MAC layer across the simulation design
- Simulation design is done using OPNET and the required network setup and parameter setup are analyzed to evaluate the QoS requirements for the voice schemes across the wireless LAN
- OPNET simulation tool is used to create the scenarios and the QoS metrics are simulated
- Results are evaluated to measure the requirements for the quality of service for different voice schemes
- Performance of the wireless LAN against the QoS requirements for the wireless LAN is analyzed and evaluated.
Reason to choose this project
I have some knowledge on wireless LAN and different range of applications supported across the wireless LAN during my graduation and gained some knowledge towards different voice schemes. I have tried to analyze the importance of the quality of service requirements for different applications and faced some issues with respect to these issues and in this project, I would like to evaluate the requirement of quality of service metrics to analyze the performance of different voice schemes across wireless LAN using OPNET simulation.
OPNET modeler 14.0 or later
Operating system: Windows 7
PROCESSOR : PENTIUM IV 2.6 GHz
RAM : 1 GB
|Basic introduction to the project along with the problem definition and aims and objectives are defined in this section.
Following topics are covered under literature review
Following design aspects are covered under this section
|Following aspects are covered under the implementation section
|Evaluation of results
|Results achieved after running the individual scenarios and after comparing the scenarios are explained in this chapter with reference to the aims and objectives of this project.
|Conclusion and Future work
Conclusion from the total work done and the results evaluation is given and the better ways to improve the project in future are also explained.
Following are the project deliverable’s
Initial report contain the below aspects
- Introduction to project and problem definition
- Review on wireless LAN and the working principles of the network
- Review on different applications across the wireless LANs
Interim report contain the below aspects
- Review on QoS requirements for voice schemes across the wireless LAN
- Design of the scenarios and explanation to the parameters considered
Final report contain the below aspects
- Information from both the initial and interim report
- Design aspects of the simulation
- Simulation procedure and simulation steps considered
- Evaluation of results with explanation
- Conclusion and future work
Final product contain the below aspects
- Physical layer and MAC layer QoS requirements for the voice schemes across the wireless LAN
- Simulation of the wireless LAN and scenarios considered
- Evaluation of results