What is meant by routing strategy?
In Computer Networks, Routing is minimizing the hardware. And it is selecting paths in networks to send network traffic. It performs many places like circuit switching, internet, transportation networks.
In computer networks, data communication is described by the static routing. It characterized by the communication between routers regarding the current topology of the network. Opposite of this routing is dynamic routing is called adaptive routing.
One Routing Strategy less preferable than another routing. But preferable routing offering the same terms of the less preferable routing is called alternative routing.
In this Seminar Report, it describes the capability of the system to routes are distinguished by the destination, system is response, when takes the alter paths to change conditions. It controls to allow many routes in response to change.
Examples of the adaptive routing:
- Every 10 sec, it collects data from each switch in the network.
- In this, routing table derives for each switch
Characteristics of routing protocol:
- It prevents routing loops from forming.
- Using hop cost information to select preferred routes.
- They take time to coverage.
Fixed route is permanent to source to destination and using least cost algorithm to determine routes. This route is fixed, until we change the topology of network.
This Routing Strategy is used by packet switching networks. Change the routing decisions, when change the conditions on the network like failures, congestion. In this, decision is more complex and quickly reacting to cause oscillation and slowly to be irrelevant.
Drawbacks of adaptive routing:
- To process the decision, when burden on nodes.
- To deliver status information, when extra burden on network.
- Slowly react to be irrelevant.
- Quickly react to cause congestion producing oscillations.
- Improve the performance.
- Packet stores the destination distance in submitted packet.
- The counter reduced by one at each node and then resubmitted into adjacent nodes.
- In this, counter 0 packets are discarded.
- Destination node doesn’t resubmit the packets
- Highly robust.
- It is suitable for virtual circuit.
- It useful for broadcasting.
- High traffic load.
- It is like a flooding, simple and robust. But, with less load on network.
- For retransmission of incoming packet, selects an outgoing path by intermediate node.
- It can be random or round robin selection.
- Based on probability calculation to select outgoing path.
- In this, no need information of network.
- It is typical not least cost.
- In this, not more than net work traffic, to reach final destination to take.