Network security and information security are the two common issues faced across the networking world these days and there are many research papers and articles issued with respect to these two aspects. Network security of different networks is affected with lot of threats and there are many possible solutions introduced with respect to the network security and still there is always a new problem across the network security that makes the administrators sleep less.
Among most of the network security issues, intruders are given the top priority and there are many intruder detection techniques in place to identify and protect the network from these intruder attacks. Irrespective of the number of intruder detection techniques implemented, still there is an array of actions populated by the intruders which were undetectable by the existing intruder detection techniques.
Filtering these intruders is always a challenging and never ending task to most of the organizations as the intruders always find new ways to disturb the network security. There are many intruder detection techniques implemented by the organizations and no one is 100% secure with respect to identifying the intruder actions and most of these techniques fail at the initial stages only.
In general a typical intruder detection system helps the security managers to detect the anomaly actions in prior to the attack or after the attack and most if the organizations are not confident about the performance of the IDS implemented across them and thus look for a new version of IDS that can work better in terms of intruder and anomaly detection aspects.
In this project a frequency based intruder detection system is evaluated where few key aspects like the size of the packet payloads, inter arrival time of the packets, the number of IP addresses reached at a particular time and the number of ports accessed and this information is really helpful to develop a perfect IDS. A typical Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) frequency analysis techniques used for the signal processing is used in this project to detect the frequency of the intruder and anomaly actions. Following are the aims and objectives of this project
Aim: To evaluate and design a frequency based intruder detection technique to detect the anomaly traffic using OPNET simulation.
Following are the research objectives
- To critically review the network security and the impact of Intruders on the network security
- To review different types of intruder detection techniques and evaluate the limitations of them
- To design a Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) based frequency analysis approach to detect the intruders
- To design the required scenarios using OPNET
- To implement the scenarios using OPNET simulation to detect the anomaly traffic data
- To evaluate the scenario results and estimate the performance of the system developed.
How the objectives are achieved
- Different articles, journal and ACM digital library is used to gather the required primary information
- These references are used to review the existing intruder detection techniques are evaluate the limitations of them
- Basic working principles of Discrete Fourier Transform (DFT) are analyzed with respect to frequency analysis issues in detecting the intruders
- Required network setup is designed with a firewall on each target system and all the systems are connected to the hub
- This network setup is designed using OPNET modeler tool and the design aspects followed are discussed in detail
- Different attacks like TCP based attacks and traffic data attacks are simulated using the OPNET simulation tool
- Almost 20 pc connections are considered and frequency patterns in detecting the attacks are analyzed
- This analysis is used across the results evaluation process and the results are analyzed with respect to the data traffic of the victim PC’s and the corresponding frequency patterns.
Reasons to choose this project
In general there are different types of intruder detection techniques to identify the intruder and anomaly actions. Apart from the lot research and knowledge gained with respect to the intruder detection techniques, there is always a new type of intruder action identified when I am doing the review, thus I thought of evaluating a frequency based intruder detection system using OPNET simulation tool.
OPNET modeler 14.0 or later
Operating system: Windows 7
PROCESSOR : PENTIUM IV 2.6 GHz
RAM : 1 GB
|Basic introduction to the project along with the problem definition and aims and objectives are defined in this section.
|Following aspects are covered under literature review
Following aspects are covered under literature review
Following design aspects are covered under this section
|Following aspects are covered under the implementation section
|Evaluation of results
|Results achieved after running the individual scenarios and after comparing the scenarios are explained in this chapter with reference to the aims and objectives of this project.
|Conclusion and Future work
Conclusion from the total work done and the results evaluation is given and the better ways to improve the project in future are also explained.
Following are the deliverables of the project
Initial report contain the below aspects
- Introduction to the project and problem definition
- Aims and objectives of the study
- Review on network security issues
Interim report contain the below aspects
- Review on different intruder detection techniques
- Review on their limitations
- Analysis on frequency based intruder detection technique
- Design steps of the scenarios considered
Final report contain the below aspects
- Information from both the initial and interim report
- Design steps of the scenarios
- Simulation to the proposed design
- Evaluation of results
- Conclusion and future work
Final product holds the below information
- Frequency based intruder detection system
- Simulation results and evaluation of the results